Atlas Assistance Dogs Academy
For experienced dog trainers who want to learn how to train service dogs for people with disabilities.
Atlas is developing a network of qualified and skilled Atlas Certified Trainers to make it easier for people with disabilities to locate a qualified trainer. We hope you will want to be part of that network and help us expand the availability of qualified service dog trainers in your area.
Apply For Trainer Courses
From foundation skills to advanced service dog skills, our extensive courses are designed to teach you everything you need to know to successfully work with a client/dog team. The courses are broken up into separate sections.
- Proficiency in people skills – understanding how to work with someone with a disability, how to set up training plans and the importance of communication and integrity.
- Proficiency in dog skills – understanding animal learning theory, a dog’s development and physiology, body language and communication, healthy, training equipment, and training approaches.
- Proficiency in service dog training – learning mobility, medical and psychiatric service dog skills. Understanding and learning how to set up your client for success in public, the laws and rights of the client.
And so much more…
Atlas Assistance Dogs® strives to eliminate obstacles to obtaining an assistance dog and helps anyone who qualifies under the Americans with Disabilities Act to obtain a certified assistance dog.
What Makes Us Different
Atlas Assistance Dogs is the only organization that:
- Works with all breeds of dogs
- Certifies qualified privately owned dogs
- Is not limited to a specific group of people or people with a specific disability
- Enables training and certification in any location
- Expands available training and certification resources
Anyone who can benefit from a qualified assistance dog can have one.
Humane, ethical treatment of dogs and people
We treat all people and all dogs ethically, compassionately, and as individuals. We partner with trainers, doctors, patients, and researchers to ensure that we employ the most ethical, scientific, and effective training approaches available with each person and each dog in our program.
See what other trainers are saying about our academy
“I can say enough about the academy. I loved the ongoing support I received along with the understanding and knowledge I gained on how to work with clients with disabilities. I have totally changed my training methods and adapted all positive reinforcement. I would recommend these courses to anyone who wants to broaden their dog training skills.” Shelly Phillips
A video about the training program.
These online courses are available when you are, wherever you are. Our courses are offered on Canvas an easy and user friendly learning platform. Each course features instructor support, comprehensive PowerPoint slides and videos. Courses vary in duration. Pricing depends on the level of your dog training experience and which courses you will need to complete your certification. Experience the joy of learning on your time and schedule.
Sign Up Now