“Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.
Never trouble another for what you can do yourself.
Never spend your money before you have it.
Never buy what you do not want because it is cheap; it will be dear to you.
Pride costs us more than hunger, thirst, and cold.
We never repent of having eaten too little.
Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly.
How much pain have cost us the evils which have never happened.
Take things always by their smooth handle.
When angry, count ten before you speak; if very angry, a hundred.”
Do you realize how nearly every major problem in this country could be solved if we’d only heeded Jefferson’s words?
• When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.
• The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
• It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
• I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
• My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
• No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
• The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
• The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
• To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
• I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property – until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.
The biggest (by far) concern founders like James Madison and Benjamin Franklin had about our government was that the most important check on the institution would become inactive – and that the fringe elements of society would be able to take power. That check? We the people. Since 1904 when the ISS was formed in New York, the socialists minded fringe has been working steadily to get control of our government. They are very close.
Read “The 5000 Year Leap”, and read the book on the Federalists Papers to really understand how our country’s system of govt was built and why.
You will utterly amazed at how far we are from their intent – and how close we are to their fears.
Socialism was specifically mentioned as being anti-constitutional by our founders!
And when we have members of the people’s House stating publicly that Tea Party people want to see blacks hung from a tree – folks we are in serious trouble.
Either we wake up and wake our neighbors up out of their sleep walking – or we might well find ourselves in another internal war.
I find myself guilty of secretly wishing a category 5 hurricane would come ashore and go right through DC and NY – if it would only take out Congress, the White House and the United Nations.
Oh – and the federal reserve.
Wait – don’t forget about the Departments of Education, Revenue, Homeland Security and Health and…
OK. I know I don’t really want this to happen.
(It would cost too much to clean up the mess!)
But I sure hope that the ‘hurricane’ of normal people (tea party inspired but not necessarily that alone) who are slowly waking to the realization that this is a government of the people, BY the people and for the people – that these people help others understand unless we all take a more active role in choosing the direction we want to go – then we will go where we are led – usually by the nose!
And being led by the nose is not a pretty site – as the last 100 years of American politics can attest!