I thought these 6 steps from a Harvard lecturer were simple and to the point!
Six Tips for Happiness
Advice from Tal Ben-Shahar.
1. Give yourself permission to be human. When we accept emotions—such as
fear, sadness, or anxiety—as natural, we are more likely to overcome them.
Rejecting our emotions, positive or negative, leads to frustration and
2. Happiness lies at the intersection between pleasure and meaning. Whether
at work or at home, the goal is to engage in activities that are both personally
significant and enjoyable. When this is not feasible, make sure you have
happiness boosters, moments throughout the week that provide you with both
pleasure and meaning.
3. Keep in mind that happiness is mostly dependent on our state of mind, not
on our status or the state of our bank account. Barring extreme circumstances,
our level of well being is determined by what we choose to focus on (the full or
the empty part of the glass) and by our interpretation of external events. For
example, do we view failure as catastrophic, or do we see it as a learning
4. Simplify! We are, generally, too busy, trying to squeeze in more and more
activities into less and less time. Quantity influences quality, and we
compromise on our happiness by trying to do too much.
5. Remember the mind-body connection. What we do—or don’t do—with our bodies
influences our mind. Regular exercise, adequate sleep, and healthy eating habits
lead to both physical and mental health.
6. Express gratitude, whenever possible. We too often take our lives for
granted. Learn to appreciate and savor the wonderful things in life, from people
to food, from nature to a smile.
technorati tags:happiness, steps, tips, tricks, harvard, human